Cattle Tagging and Cattle ETAS
Cattle born after 1 January 1998
- must have a Defra approved eartag in each ear (double tagging).
- each eartag must have the same unique number,
- animals will be identified throughout their lifetime by this unique number.
Cattle born or imported into Great Britain before 1 January 1998
- may continue to be identified by a single tag.
Cattle born after 1 July 2000
- must be identified by all numeric tags.
Don’t put yourself at risk – if you feel that in order to meet cattle identification requirements you are putting yourself in danger, stop, and contact BCMS as soon as possible. For information about handling cattle safety, the HSE has produced an information leaflet called ‘Handling and housing cattle
Page published: 15 June 2011